Published on Tuesday, August 29, 2017
The magical island of Goeree-Overflakkee is not only stunningly beautiful in the summer, it’s enchanting all year round.
Experience fresh wind and sea, explore nature areas and even spot flamingos and seals: it’s all on Goeree-Overflakkee. Relax and enjoy this truly natural island world in a beautiful and authentic environment just half an hour away from major cities such as Rotterdam, Breda and Antwerp.
This green, watery and sustainable island on the border of South Holland and Zeeland offers everything for a weekend getaway or longer stay. It is not only good for spring and summer, the island with its vast coastal region is worth exploring year round.
Goeree-Overflakkee is a green, wide island with beautiful natural areas, such as the Evil Corner, Hellegat plates and Flakkee. This is a world of wildlife with seals, beavers and countless birds and every autumn and winter there are even flamingos in the Grevelingen near Battenoord. This tropical scene on a South Holland island is a very special experience for anyone who sees it.
Rent a bike or electric scooter to discover this versatile island, where natural areas alternate with ancient polder landscapes. In spring, the island turns pink, red and white when the many tulips fields are in full bloom. There are marinas and authentic villages, each with its own character.
On the west side of Ouddorp and the Brouwersdam you will find many long, wide sandy beaches. Here you can walk for hours, enjoy the sunset, beach volleyball or just laze. You will find cosy local shops and restaurants the seaside resort of Ouddorp, the ideal base for enjoying the island.
Goeree-Overflakkee is a favorite home for water sportsmen. In Haringvliet or Grevelingen, divers can swim in one of Europe’s largest and cleanest saltwater lakes. De Brouwersdam is an international hotspot for active water sports, including kite-surfing, golf-surfing, and kayaking.
Visitors can also take a pony ride or a trip a whistle boat or an old salmon boat. In the summer months the Waterbus crosses the Haringvliet and Waterpoortpont over the Volkerak-Zoommeer.
Goeree-Overflakkee is a sustainable holiday destination. The island is just one of four places worldwide that has received the QualityCoast Platinum Award. The island also has a solid sustainability ambition to be completely energy-neutral in 2020. The Blue Flag flies in many marinas and on the beaches at Ouddorp. This represents clean and safe (swimming) water, beautiful nature, good sanitation and a healthy environment. The beach of Ouddorp was even declared the cleanest beach in South Holland in 2016.
Overnight stays can be provided in a B & B, holiday park, camping, beach lodge or hotel with a Greenkey certificate, the hallmark for the sustainable recreation and leisure industry.
Look at http://www.goeree-overflakkee.nl , http://www.vvvgoeree-overflakkee.nl
Like Goeree on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GoereeOverflakkee/ or follow them on twitter and instagram: @EilandGO.
Tips for a day out:
- Seal expo in Stellendam, where you can see how young seals are taken care of and released. In the expo you learn more about the sea, the delta area, marine mammals, the delta works and the rescue of humans and animals.
- Take a tour with a real fisherman at Visafslag in Stellendam and see how the fish is landed and traded on Friday morning. At the Innovation Center for Fisheries you get an explanation of new and sustainable fishing techniques.
- Go on a trek over the Flakkee Swallows and try to spot the big five of the Netherlands. The seal, the beaver and the ree are all on Goeree-Overflakkee
- See the animals at Faunapark Flakkee, a zoo in New Tonge where you will find owls, kangaroos, sticky sticks, flamingos and more.
- Trains and locomotives, at the RTM Museum on the Brouwersdam, you can view steam and diesel locomotives, cars and freight cars, and on various days you can take a ride in an old steam train.
- Middelharnis and Sommelsdijk is a unique twin village: In Middelharnis, traditionally a fishing village, you will find the city centre where you can shop and relax on a terrace by the harbour. In Sommelsdijk, an agricultural village, you will find the beautifully-decorated regional museum which is located in a number of ancient buildings.
- Goedereede, the beautiful historic town with terraces at the harbour and a museum in the church tower church tower that used to serve as a lighthouse